Monday, December 12, 2011

Reflection

In writing my reflection for class, I had a sudden realization about my service work. In the past, I had grown to resect service for the good feeling that it gave me. When I did my service work this time, I fully expected to get this same benefit, but when I looked back on my service work, I realized that I had learned something new about myself. I looked at my current service experiences and back to my past experiences, and examined the type of service conditions I liked working in. I realized that I enjoy working with my hands, enjoy a variety of tasks, and enjoy using my head to tackle problems. From this, I decided that I should look further into research. Research is a hand on career field that has a variety of tasks and requires a large amount of problem solving. I determined this based on the experiences that I had in my service organizations. I always chose to work at places that made me use my hands and had me walking around. At my service organizations, I also always was doing something new on a day to day basis and even an hour to hour basis. I also realized that I was at my best when an unexpected challenge occurred. I would think about the problem and figure out a way to solve it. From these three ideas I began to seriously consider a career in research. I enjoyed my time serving in these conditions and believe that this will translate to an enjoyable career choice later. I’m glad that I chose to take this class over the traditional English options as it allowed me to get real world experience instead of writing many pointless essays. Also, I was really freaked out last night when I realized the drop box had closed early. 

No comments:

Post a Comment